Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My New Kindle!

I don’t know why I didn’t notice this on the first two days with my Kindle, but suddenly, last night, reading in bed, I started noticing a black “negative” of the page as it advanced to the next page. I thought at first it was some kind of lowered power level as the battery got used up, or maybe my tired eyes. But the battery was fine, and it was the same in the morning.

Well, I googled “kindle page turns negative,” and there was a site with a lot of commentary about this from people with identities like “Shangrilachica,” “Desertmama,” “Mccook666,” and a whole host of others who all agreed that there is something inherent in the e-ink technology (Nook, Sony, Kindle, all of them) that causes a black flash (what I called a negative) when you turn the page.

So it looks like get used to it or don’t use it. Which is fine, I’m willing.

What’s odd is why it took me so long to notice it. Was it that I was only beginning to get comfortable enough to sink into the story and be irritated by something pulling me out? Up to this point, I may have been less reading and more enjoying the awareness of Me Reading My Kindle.

But now I know: I have to suck it up until it becomes as invisible as my hand picking up the corner of a piece of paper and turning it.

Tags: , , ,

No comments: