Friday, April 28, 2006

I'm becoming a Mini-Techie...

Large chunks of yesterday lost in the excitement of getting the web page transferred. I wouldn’t say it went totally smoothly, but not bad considering how bad technical things can get. I researched by review sites the cheap hosts, and liked the one I finally chose, StartLogic.com for having a relatively bearable-to-look at web page of its own, plus, it had a live chat room and phone people to talk to. Compared to old never-available Mark at TheHostPros.com, it’s a huge improvement already. Of course, I also know better how to do these things. I forget them between crises, but I can reconstruct faster, that is, that you have to get your domain holder to redirect your domain name, and of course I couldn’t remember who holds my domain, but then it came back– The Authors Guild, who gave me a great deal, and I’m paid up for meredithsuewillis.com till 2012 or something like that. They redirect the name to the new impossible-to-remember-numbers-that-are-the-address. Then the new hosts, after being paid of course, take a while to make it all so. The whole thing took me about six hours once I’d paid, which is not bad at all. Anyhow, I feel terribly empowered to have done it, and even if StartLogic turns out terrible– as indeed some of the comments said they are– I can switch again. I almost chose a different host, but then I started to discover that the customer comments (not the reviews by review sites) were almost all horrible, and of course it’s the unhappy campers who write. Well, we’ll see if this was a bad decision or good later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are liking startlogic, we are mavens and love their service. Please feel free to comment on our blog as to your ongoing experience with them.

http://www.startlogicwebhostingreview.com