Thursday, March 17, 2005

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day, and I planted peas! I lived today like a retiree– that is, I gathered seeds and garden catalogs and I went down, just to see how the garden was, and dug a little, and raked, and set in one of the bean towers– and I planted peas! Super sugar snaps and Oregon Sugar Pod II's, and a new one, Sugar Lace II!! I also thinned the cabbages now under lights, still in their egg carton, not peat pots yet. It was sunny and 40 ish today, and I kept thinking, This is what I want to do, I want to be retired for a while, and garden and write memoir (I'm finishing up a short piece about poor old Miss Shreve to submit to Maggie Anderson's book about schooling.)
Also cut lettuce from under the umbrellas and dug up parsnips and carrots planted last April, baked them with potatoes, had salad and ham, a funeral gift.

No comments: