Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Back from West Virginia

My college sophomore son Joel and I are back from West Virginia, which is always a big adjustment, both ways: staying with my parents, going to church at the solidly middle class First Baptist Church of Shinnston, WV. It is always an interesting experience, being around people who approach life differently from me: one of my mother's friends who is going to vote for George W. Bush because she thinks he is a more sincere Christian than John Kerry! In fact, of course, people are mostly interested in their own business, like most of us, I guess-- their sons in Iraq, their diseases, aches and pains. Their political energies are used at work, in their churches, which some people pick and choose based on, for example, whether a church's music is stodgy and slow or lively Christian rock. It's a big world out there.

No comments: